Q: Which browser do you recommend for my use of extOL?
Any browser will work with extOL. However, Mozilla Firefox seems to be more compatible with the various functions of the extOL site than the other major browsers on the market. Yet extOL has been tested and works fine with the four web browsers mentioned below. You can click on each of the following links to download your preferred browser:
Q: Why does Internet Explorer only show a random, ugly view of the extOL web site?
Internet Explorer handles a mix of secure and non-secure content differently than other browsers. You can either select "No" when presented with the option to only view secure content or follow the steps below:
- Click the Tools menu or button, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Security tab, and then click the Custom level button.
- In the Security Settings dialog box, scroll to the "Display mixed content" setting in the Miscellaneous section, and then click Enable.
- Click OK in the Security Settings dialog box, click Yes to confirm that you want to make the change, and then click OK to exit Internet Options.
- Note: After allowing mixed content, you will see webpages with both HTTPS and non-HTTPS content but Internet Explorer will not show the lock icon.
Q: How should I configure my web browser?
Browsers can be configured to display, or not display, certain kinds of multimedia content and web content. Individual settings for each browser are completed in different ways. Whichever browser you use, make sure the following is set within the browser:
- Third-party browser extensions are enabled
- Pop-up blockers are disabled
- Java is enabled within the browser
- Multimedia settings are enabled for playback of content in browser
- If Section 508 accessibility is required (for the vision-impaired), make sure the proper screen reader is installed on your computer.
- Latest version of your browser is installed (Mac users: Please do not use Microsoft Internet Explorer)
Q: What "add-on's" or "extensions" do I need to install in my web browser?
Browsers need third-party applications installed to ensure that certain types of web content can be viewed. extOL online programs require you to make sure the following "add-on's" are installed within your web browser:
- Flash Player from Adobe
Click here to download the latest Flash player by Adobe. This will allow you to see the content of the modules and engage in the interactive activities. After the separate browser window opens, uncheck the check box for "Free Google Toolbar".
Check the check box next to "I agree to the Adobe Flash Player Terms of Service".
Then, click the button labeled "Agree and install Now". You may have to right-click on the message that appears at the top of this separate browser window and select "Install Active X Control..." with your mouse.
- Adobe Reader
Click here to download the latest Adobe Reader software. This will allow you to see the "printable" content of the online programs (manuals, study guides, etc.). After the separate browser window opens showing the Adobe web site, uncheck the check box next to "Free Google Toolbar".
Then click the button labeled "Download".
Q: What kind of computer do I need to use extOL?
extOL will work on any PC or Apple computer which meets the minimum requirements listed below:
- Pentium 3 or better; Macintosh G3 or better • Windows 7, XP or Vista; or Mac OS 9.x or 10 • 128MB of RAM or more • 25MB of available hard drive space • 1024 x 768 monitor resolution (1280 x 1024 recommended) • Sound card • Computer speakers • Internet connection (DSL or Cable recommended)
Q: Why is it important that my monitor's resolution be at a specific point?
It's vital that your monitor's resolution is set on the preferred resolution of 1280 x 1024. If you have your monitor set on 1024 x 768, this will also allow you to view the presentation. While this will not affect your performance in the course, you may have to scroll down to view some content. To change your monitor's resolution, follow the steps below:
- Minimize all open programs.
- Simply right-click with your mouse on the desktop.
- Select Properties and then choose the Settings tab.
- If you have more than one monitor, select the numbered monitor icon that corresponds to the monitor you will be using to display this course.
- Slide the Screen Resolution slider in either the Less or More direction until "1280 x 1024 pixels" is displayed below the slider. Click OK.
- You can always reset your monitor's resolution to whatever setting you had prior to spending time in the course by following the above procedure.
Q: How do I create a new account on the extOL People or extOL Certifications site?
If you are not a UT employee, you will need to create an account on either of these sites to access the site's online programs. Click here to access a help document explaining how to do this on the extOL People site.
Q: What if I don't want to pay online by credit card?
extOL gives you several options on payment for an online program. You can download and mail the following form with a check or money order to the address specified on the form:
Q: What if I accidentally pay for the wrong online program?
After you make payment online, you will receive a payment confirmation at the email address you specified. extOL has a very clear refund policy that can be found below or on our Policies and Guidelines page. It is as follows:
REFUND POLICY: Purchase of any online program on extOL is non-refundable unless it is verified by the Payment Manager on the web site that the refund requestor has either a) never accessed the online program for which the refund is being requested or b) has spent less than five minutes in the online program for which the refund is being requested.
All refund and registration cancellation requests must be made in writing to the Payments Manager at email@example.com. Credit card refunds are credited back to the card used to register for the online program on extOL. Money order and check registrations will be refunded via a check mailed 4-6 weeks after the request for cancelled registration is received by the Payment Manager on the web site if the above conditions are met.
Q: How do I enroll in an online program?
You can enroll in online programs on extOL by clicking on the program name in the Online Program Catalog. If the program is fee-based, you have the option to pay online or by mail. After you make payment online, you will receive a payment confirmation at the email address you specified.
Furthermore, some programs have an enrollment key. You must have this key to enroll in the online program. In any case, you will receive a confirmation email regarding your enrollment in the online program.
Q: If I have a question about whether I need to participate in an online program, how should this be handled?
The online programs within extOL are meant to address the professional development of our Tennessee clientele and the Tennessee Extension workforce. If you think you could benefit by completing an online program, but are not sure if it is relevant to your needs, check with the online program coordinator or your supervisor.
Q: How do I view my grades for the online program?
Checking out your test and quiz scores for the online program in which you enrolled is easy. Just follow the steps below:
- Go to the online program within extOL by clicking on its name in the Online Program Catalog.
- Click the Control Panel link in the Course Menu.
- Click "Grades".
Q: If I have a question about the content of an online program, how should this be handled?
The online programs within extOL each have "Question and Answer Databases" where questions about the clarity of content can be addressed. You can also address any content questions with the coordinator of the online program.
Q: If I have a question about the way the site functions, or an issue with a grade or test score, how should this be handled?
Please contact the extOL Support Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any questions that pertain to site functionality or data stored on the site.
Q: If I have a question about UT or TSU Extension programming in my area, how should this be handled?
If you have a question that cannot be answered in the "Question and Answer Database" located within your online program, then submit the question to your county Extension agent. Use the following link to find the contact information you need for your county Extension office:
Once the web page appears, click on your county on the map of Tennessee to access their contact information.
Any comments regarding the above, and any other issue related to the use of extOL, may be submitted via email to:
or by physical mailing to:
The University of Tennessee Extension
Attn: extOL Administrator
2621 Morgan Circle, Room 224
Knoxville, TN 37996-4515
You may also reach us by phone at (865) 974-7308.